Friday, July 6, 2012

Oops, I did it again

Well, here I am, blogging in bed with a very swollen and bruised ankle. Trinket is at my side, slowly low crawling onto my chest as I type.... I just pushed her off because I couldn't see anymore! Onto the post...

Let's start this story at the beginning.

Monday. "There should be a holiday dedicated to all the brave people that show up to work on a Monday." @Carrie_Br4dshaw (Twitter).

I sprained my ankle Monday morning at work. I was getting a shelf down off its bracket (overhead) when I heard a face-out arm sliding on the shelf. I was wearing flip-flops so I had to do that funny dance to avoid having the face-out fall on my foot. Well, my funny dance was a little much and I lost my footing. I rolled my ankle and fell right on my ass, 4ft shelf still in hand over my head. The face-out crashed onto the floor just inches from my feet. I hollered and I immediately had to make myself laugh to keep from crying. I yelled lots of effs and ess's (the store wasn't open), which always help dull the pain.

I'm not blaming the flip-flops here. I'm irritated at the jackass who left the fixture on the shelf, out of sight. Had I known what I would be doing that morning I would've worn sneakers, but I was told I'd be changing the modelkins (not very hazardous).

I got up and walked it off a little, the swelling coming and going for the next 3 1/2 hours of my shift.

I sprain my ankles often, no matter what shoes I'm wearing. It's just irritating.
Friday. Oops, I did it again.

Well, not exactly. No rolling this time. I was getting a few shelves out of the fixture room to take upstairs with me and I fumbled as I was getting one down off the shelf they are stored on (shelves kept on a shelf? Just take my word for it). Two shelves came crashing down, right into my poor little abused ankle, the one I effed up on Monday. Let me just say that our shelves at work are heavy. I would say a good 10 lbs each. I feel lucky that nothing was broken!

Anyhoo, I immediately yelled some gd's (then apologized because some people take offense), but continued with the effs, ess's, and I muttered some others that would rile up a room full of women. My manager was there and asked if I wanted to file an accident report just as I began to laugh maniacally to keep from sobbing.

I seriously entertained the idea of going home at that point.

I said, let me see if I can walk it off. I worked another 6 hours.

For the rest of the day I flinched at every fixture I touched.

The funny thing about all of this? I haven't learned a damn thing.

Have a safe weekend!


1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a link to your blog or twitter so I can visit you too!