Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Book Smart

I've been looking for a way to tie my love of books and all things Lit into my blog without going the book review route. I'm not against reviews, they are very helpful sometimes. I just suck at them, that's all. I'm better at critiquing and analyzing. You know, looking for themes and conventions of discourse then trying to apply all that to the meaning of the universe. Agh! So maybe just for now I'll start by posting what I know and if I happen to stumble on something cute (ahem):

I'll pass it on with a comment or five. I found this comic on my sister's tumblr page and traced it back to it's origin. Which really meant, I had to do a google search because the little twat (excuse my French) it was credited to on tumblr didn't credit the photo properly. Anyhoo, this isn't a "careful to link" rant.

I love this particular take on Pooh and Poe because I feel like "The Tell-Tale Heart" doesn't get read often enough. Heck, I don't think Poe gets read often enough at all! In fact, I never read any for high school and I only read one short story for college. Everything I have read was on my own time and I think I enjoyed it more for that reason.

If you like Thrillers, Horror, or Mysteries take a look at some of Pooh, I mean Poe's work (teehee). My personal favorite is the "The Cask of Amantillado." I was really stoked to see a Poe themed haunted house at Busch Gardens's Howl-O-Scream last year. In fact, the second time I walked through I identified all the poems and short stories that were being enacted. The guy from Cask looked pretty surprised when I yelled "Oh, your from "The Cask..(yadayada)." He said, "Yes!" 

Is any of this interesting? I kinda got excited and started typing. We'll do this again some time, thanks for hanging in there!

signature

1 comment:

  1. Even what is read of Poe in schools is the same old stuff. We read "The Black Cat" and "The Masque of the Red Death" (title correct?) and of course "The Tell-Tale Heart" and poetry wise... I cannot tell you how tired I am of Annabel Lee.

    His work is so much more than that, though. I have a collection, and it was the one pleasure reading book I brought with me to college. I even left the Harry Potters at home.

    At any rate, I'm excited to see The Raven when it hits theatres.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a link to your blog or twitter so I can visit you too!