Saturday, April 16, 2011

Zoo day (eeeek!)

Yesterday Chris and I took a trip to the Lowery Park zoo in Tampa. It was my first time there. Every time I go to a zoo or Animal Kingdom I just about lose my mind, I <3 animals! I always seem to learn at least a dozen new facts (numbered and in bold, don't laugh) and most of the time they are such common knowledge that Chris gets a big laugh explaining them to me. I also make mini discoveries on my own. You'll see:

1st, I forgot my phone and didn't realize it until we were about 1/2 way there. I never forget my phone. I've had a phone attached to my ear since middle school. My Daddy even made a sign for my door that had a phone on it and said "Jenny's life-support system." It's ok, I can live without the phone for the day. Right?

2nd, you need a memory card in the camera to take pictures. I took the memory card out to dump pictures onto the laptop and forgot to put it back. I also switched purses before we left and didn't put the spare memory cards in the new purse.

So, me at a zoo and no way to take pictures of all the little (and big) animals I fell in love with! Chris always saves the day with his mad photo skillz.

I love giraffes. That faint squealing noise you heard around 2 pm yesterday? That was me. I was so excited! It was louder in Tampa.


3rd, some birds can swim underwater. Not all of them, just some. I was amazed that birds could swim at all! Then I remembered that ducks existed. Haha

4th, Boy turkeys need all those pretty feathers because their faces are really ugly. Also, this just in! Turkeys can fly! Who knew?! Well, everyone but me.

5th, Flamingos sound like Tauntauns.

6th, Manatees can't breathe under water. (Hush)

I also really love otters. I zipped around the otter enclosure until I found them all sleeping in a log. There were a few girls standing next to me looking for them too. When I pointed them out to them I said, "They're right here, I have otter-vision." They looked at me with their dumb teenage girl faces that said, (very lazily and half-asleep) "Whaatt??"  (I don't remember having that face, I was always high on coffee).

While I was at the Sting Ray tank (petting them of course) I heard a little girl tell her dad, "Sting Rays look like Meerkats a little bit." If she were about 20 years older I think I would have found my new best friend/partner in crime/drinking bud.

Other animals I fell in love with were

  • Tapirs (aka, "panda-pigs)

  • Reeve's Muntjac's (they're so cute! They also have long long tongues and are so cute when they run.)

  • Singing dogs (I howled with them for a few minutes. We're cool now.)

  • Okapis (They're the one s that are related to giraffes but are zebra-shaped and have stripes.)
Have a lovely Saturday... I'll be working on a research paper!

6 comments:

  1. Don't forget penguins!

    Glad you got some pictures - zoo day without pictures would be so disappointing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh we actually saw (South African?) Penguins, but I don't think Chris took any pictures of them. If I'd had a memory card in my camera there would have been 50 pictures of every animal! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha, I love this post!!
    You're so pretty! Glad you had a great time there :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for stopping by! I'm jealous..wish I would be in FL right now..and I love love love Animal Kingdom. I actually took the kids (all three...) last Christmas...it was CRAZY...but FUN!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. [...] Sundae! Skip to content HomeA little about me… ← Zoo day (eeeek!) April 17, 2011 · 5:53 pm ↓ Jump to [...]

    ReplyDelete
  6. sounds like you had an awesome time! I just went to the zoo a few weeks ago...flamingos are my favorite!!
    stopping by from FTLOB :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a link to your blog or twitter so I can visit you too!