Tuesday, May 10, 2011

My first blanket!

My sister and I were taught how to crochet at a very young age. We thought we were so cool. Looking back, we were! We were probably 7 or 8 years old and took our crocheting with us everywhere. Cindy and I had our own popcorn tins in the living room to store our yarn, hooks, needles and plastic canvas. Our Aunt Julie even made us "yarn dispensers" out of oatmeal tubes with holes poked in the lids.

Alas, we never finished anything we started. There were tons of little bits of 6-8 inch long single crochet pieces of I don't know what in the bottom of our tins. I don't remember all of Cindy's, but I know mine never got any bigger than 8x10 inches. I used to get bored with the color or I'd get a tangle in the yarn. I left it in the skein instead of rolling it into a ball back then. Whoops!

It wasn't until about 2 months ago I started having dreams that I was crocheting. I fixed that like I fixed the cigarette smoking dreams a few years ago (tried it , gagged....dreams are gone! Our 'mother' smoked like a chimney around us growing up). I went to Michael's, bought some yarn and a hook and got to work. I learned the art of the granny square from Becky at Stumpet's Crumpets and I haven't stopped since. Here are pictures of my progress, all the way up to the finish on Monday night!





4 comments:

  1. Love it & the colors - looks like a turquoise which was Ed's mothers favorite color :) Great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I told you before, but I'll it again. That is so cool. Congrats on finishing something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's huge! I love it! I love the color combo too. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a link to your blog or twitter so I can visit you too!